Saturday, August 25, 2018

Smart watch..., who's smart, who's watching?

I got a Pebble watch a while back, for $100 it did everything I was expecting from it. I came with a cloud/web-based IDE, a really fine piece of work, it was possible to develop and debug applications running on the watch in JavaScript, that was really well done, smart and neat.
Then a while back, Pebble got acquired by Fitbit. And now, the Cloud IDE of Pebble is not available anymore. Than means I cannot develop new apps for my Pebble, even if it is still working just fine.
Why would I buy a new watch (twice as expensive), and re-write all my apps? This is quite frustrating...
In fact, there was something wrong from the beginning.
All those so-called smart watches need a Bluetooth cell-phone to connect to, and from there it will reach other data. Why not a TCP-based protocol from the watch, to bypass the phone? Power consumption? I doubt it.
This is not about accessibility or configuration either, I do it all the time for Raspberry Pis and similar boards, ssh and similar protocols have been here for this kind of remote access, for ages, and for good reasons.
Smart glasses, head-up displays (HUD), smart watches, all those devices are just displays, all they need is to connect to a data bus and display what they mean to (just like an NMEA bus).
I suspect some marketing bullshit behind the scene..., again.

If this kind of TCP watch does not show up soon, I'll build one. Bam!

No comments:

Post a Comment