Friday, May 29, 2020

Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB of RAM...

Released yesterday, there is now a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8Gb of RAM, for $75 in the US!
(See the Raspberry Pi blog).
And it comes along with a beta-64 bit OS, named Raspi OS, that targets Raspberry Pis 3 and higher.

I tried it (on a Raspberry Pi 4, with 4 Gb of RAM), it works fine, and fast!
This beta version does not come with Java installed, but a simple sudo apt-get install default-jdk installs it (JDK 11) in a couple of minutes.
I cloned a repo (https://github.com/OlivierLD/raspberry-coffee.git) and built it without any problem or error.

Now, I might wait a bit longer to get a new Raspberry Pi. As it is now, it should be able to support 16 Gb of RM, I'll wait a bit, and see...

Anyway, that makes yet another good reason NOT to get a Mac.
Steve Jobs vs Eben Upton..., I vote for Eben Upton, biiiiiig time.


No comments:

Post a Comment